Sunday 10 October 2010

My Love Of Horror Characters

After my mum found out I was obsessed with Horror films she started to suggest some that she'd seen that I should watch. She lent me all 4 Psycho films, I spent the entire day watching them back to back, the Character of Norman Bates (Played by the great Anthony Perkins) was so fascinating! I started to grasp onto characters and the psychological aspects of them. Characters Like Hannibal Lecter, Mrs. Voorhees, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Jack Torrance, Billy Chapman, Jerry Blake, Annie Wilkes, John Ryder and alot more.

These characters weren't just zombies or monsters etc, these were human beings with mental illnesses, psychological illnesses etc. These characters were more frightening than any monster or whatever because these characters could be your next door neighbour, room mate or even a family member and also you weren't just reading about it in the paper or seeing it on the news it was on your screen, blood and all.

It was these characters that got me into horror films based on real people, serial killers, which when done properly can be very, very frightening. I remember watching "Bundy" and the man was so charming, polite very much a gentleman. The next thing you know he's killing all these people and more (Too graphic to write here). The fact that this person was real scared me to death! It goes back to my point of this is a person you could know, these crimes weren't thought up by some writer, these things actually happened!!

I will always love my zombies, monsters etc but show me a film were its a true story and more than likely it will scare you more. To prove my point I'll leave you with this:

If you have watched "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" do you think it wouldn't have been as scary if it didn't say "Based On A True Story"? Yes I know its Based On Ed Gein but still think about it......

No comments:

Post a Comment